Week One Shares, May 25th
Our CSA deliveries are rolling with lots of bountiful, green Week One shares.
Week One Contents Included:
James Farm Mixes
What's a Kohlrabi?
Kohlrabi is part bulb, part bundle of greens, it offers a delightful combination of familiar tastes. It has the texture of a radish and the sweetness of jicama, with a slight hint of broccoli. Along with other cruciferous vegetables, kohlrabi is member of the brassica clan and is packed with vitamin C and potassium.
Recipe ideas for your share
Kohlrabi, cut into matchsticks
Apple, cut into matchsticks
Fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Mix kohlrabi and apple matchsticks (both peeled or not) with olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
via Martha Stewart
Mashed Cauliflower and Kohlrabi
1 head cauliflower - cut in florets
1 kohlrabi - peeled and cut in large chunks
½ c plain yogurt (or Greek yogurt) - low fat
1 tbs horseradish
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ c chives - minced + 2 tbs for garnish
- Using a steamer basket, bring 3 inches of water to a boil then add cauliflower and kohlrabi.
- Steam until veggies are fork tender - about 8-10 minutes.
- Once veggies are cooked, pour out the cooking water and remove steamer basket.
- Add veggies back into the same pan and use a potato masher to smash the cauliflower and kohlrabi together. (Let the kids help!)
- Next, add in yogurt, horseradish, salt, pepper and ¼ c of chives.
- For an even smoother texture, use an immersion blender or electric mixer.
- Serve with extra chives on top.
via The Lemon Bowl